INEC suspends Melaye’s recall

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) says it will halt the process of recalling Dino Melaye, senator representing Kogi west.

Adedeji Soyebi, national commissioner of the commission, disclosed this on Thursday, saying the decision is in line with a court ruling.

Last week, the federal high court, Abuja asked INEC and Melaye to maintain “status quo” pending the determination of a suit filed by Melaye to challenge the process.

Soyebi said INEC would appeal the ruling.

“The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) held its regular weekly today and considered the order given by the federal high court, Abuja dated 6th July 2017 directing the ‘parties to maintain status quo till the determination of the plaintiff’s motion on notice’ in respect of the suit filed by senator Dino Melaye seeking orders of injunction against the commission, to stop it from acting on the petition by the registered voters of Kogi west senatorial district,” he said in a statement.

“As a responsible, law-abiding institution, INEC will comply with the order. However, the commission has also decided to take immediate steps to vacate the court order and for the matter to be heard expeditiously.

“Whereas, the court adjourned hearing of the motion on notice on 29th September 2017, it should be noted that section 69 of the 1999 constitution of the federal republic of Nigeria (as amended) sets a limit of 90 days from the date of the presentation of the petition (21st June, 2017) for the exercise to be completed.

“The commission also at its meeting today, approved a policy of comprehensive audit after all elections. This is in line with its commitment of ensuring transparency and overall improvement of the electoral process.”

Comments

comments

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *